(part of my draft project.  this is the honest truth.  in my honest opinion.  first written august 14th 2012)

This week, I've been getting up at 7am.  Every morning.  Mostly because my body needs to get used to that fact that my alarm is going to be going off at 5:30am almost every morning soon.  Ouch.

And, when I wake up at 7am and there is nothing else to do, I turn on the Today Show (although I'd rather not.  Savannah needs a new hairstyle or I'm going to start watching GMA.  And yes, I've considered writing them a letter).  But, one thing they highlighted this morning made me feel really reeeeeally badly for the world.  Just in general, I felt horrible for the world.

They had this whole segment on the "animals in need" and how this famous woman stopped her career to rescue sick animals.  She bottle-fed cats, she took care of dogs that had three legs, the list could go on forever.  But here's the thing that bugged me.  Like, bugged me a lot.  What ever happened to the 153 million children overseas and in your own country that don't have parents?  

(Now.  Let me just get two things straight here.  One: I've watched the today show for years.  Literally.  Every Summer morning I can remember the Today Show has been on.  I'm sure they've talked about orphans and adoption before.  I am not saying they only focus their attention on the animals in need.  But, I can remember at least a few instances where they've talked about the animals.  Had a segment on dogs up for adoption, etc..  Two: I am also not saying that we should all just neglect animals and that abusing animals is okay.  No way.  It's definitely not.  I like animals too.  I'm not a crazy animal-hater.  I have a dog that I can't imagine my life without.  But, it just hurts me to see that the world focuses more of their attention on animals than their own race.)

And it struck me.  No one understands the need.  No one truly does.  The world doesn't really get it.  Heck, it's legal to murder babies in the womb, I'm sad to say orphans probably aren't most of the un-believing population's priority.  It's just sad, really.  That dogs get the spotlight instead of all the kids on this list.  

It's just another reminder of the need.  The need for the Lord, that is.




Michlyn  – (August 31, 2012 at 10:23 AM)  

Hey Emma! I've been reading your blog for the last couple weeks.

This post is fantastic! I have an adopted sister who is 6 yrs old. We brought her home 2 years ago from Ethiopia Africa.

Mind if I guest post this on my blog?

~Michlyn
smalltowngirl-michlyn.blogspot.com

Anonymous –   – (September 1, 2012 at 11:25 AM)  

AMEN! i've been saying the same things for years. glad to know i'm not alone :)

Post a Comment

s e a r c h

Blog Archive