HAPPY DECEMBER, LET'S TALK ABOUT CHRISTMAS

Anyone who knows me well knows I say "just keeping it real" all the time.  It's just who I am.  I think my blog tagline needs to be "keeping it real" or something because of how many times I keep things real over here.

So, with that said, I'm going to keep things real in this post.  Again.

Am I the only one that hates the term (or whatever it is) "Happy Holidays"?

And no, I'm not trying to be all Christian-y here and say the whole world needs to make sure Christ is in Christmas.  Because that's not the reality, it's really not.

But can I just say right now that if we believe in the real reason for Christmas.... we would start saying Merry CHRISTmas instead of "Happy Holidays" and "Seasons Greetings."

Oh my goodness, Season's Greetings needs a whole other post.  Nobody has any idea how annoying that term is to me.

But, moving on.............

I think why I hate all of this so much is because even Christians aren't realizing the true purpose for Christmas.  Yes, traditions are wonderful.  Trust me, I love them more than anyone.  Yes, gift-giving and gift-getting is great.  Yes, Christmas trees and lights and the feel of this time of year is lovely.  But can we please not forget why we're celebrating this "holiday" this year?  I'm not even going to say it's Jesus' Birthday, because it's so much more than that.  Just dwell for a moment on what was given to us when God sent His son, as a newborn, on Christmas day.  Think about what was done for us when this newborn was sent to the world.  I for one am humbled by it, and I hope you are too.

So...

Next time you are out, say Merry Christmas in response to someone who says Happy Holidays.  And next time you need to say it on the internet, say Merry CHRISTmas.  Let's not forget why we're celebrating what we celebrate on December 25.


P.S. stay tuned!  working on a little project :)

Kiley Marissa  – (December 3, 2012 at 1:13 PM)  

I love you. haha, seasons greetings is truly a phrase from the devil himself. ;) can't wait for your little project to be revealed.

Hannah Nicole  – (December 3, 2012 at 1:26 PM)  

love you, love this, and CAN'T WAIT FOR YOUR PROJECT. :)

Olivia  – (December 3, 2012 at 1:29 PM)  

ooh! I can't wait to see what you're up too! & yesyesyes. i love you & your heart. so with you on that. it really,really is CHRISTmas, and we all need to remember that :) xx.

Emma  – (December 3, 2012 at 2:32 PM)  

ABSOLUTELY. Season's Greetings annoys me to no end. I love what Kiley said! :P You could really technically say "Season's Greetings" at ANY time of year, because it's always a season, and you can greet someone anytime you want to. It's just.....blah. ;)
So, Merry CHRISTmas Emma! <3

Michlyn  – (December 3, 2012 at 3:13 PM)  

Great post!! Perfect point. I feel the exact same way!

LOVE your blog!
~Michlyn

Unknown  – (December 3, 2012 at 4:12 PM)  

always. Merry *Christ*mas to you Emma.

Unknown  – (December 4, 2012 at 7:31 AM)  

I totally agree with you on the stupid Season's Greetings thing... I mean, I could really come up to you in March and say "Season's Greetings!!" and it would be no different than if I had said it in December... However, Happy Holidays still has some ounce of Christian reverence in it. The American English word "Holiday" actually is a degenerate word form of the late 18th century word "Holyday". A Holyday was really any feast day of the Church, Lammis Day, Fourth of July, Christmas, Thanksgiving, and the Shabbat. So really saying "Happy Holidays" is not AS secularized as saying "Season's Greetings!"

Also, Saying "Happy Holidays" encloses all three of the great end of year holy days, so to speak; Hannukah, New Years, and most importantly, Christmas day and Christmas Eve.

But in the end, I prefer saying "Merry Christmas!"

Thanks for another great blog post, Emma!!

Unknown  – (December 4, 2012 at 7:32 AM)  

Please forgive me for being nerdy...

Post a Comment

s e a r c h

Blog Archive