what is art?

I've asked myself this a few times recently.  What exactly is art?  Is art a painting, drawing, etc.?  Not necessarily.

The definition of art is "the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power".

Okay.  I'm just going to say right now that I am not an artist.  I do not draw.  I do not paint.  I do not do anything of that sort.  But that is not the only kind of art there is.

Art can be fashion.  Art can be photography.  Art can be drawing.  Art can be a lot of things.  But what is art to you?

I recently posted something on Facebook about that fact that I am not an artist.  Three people told me that that is not true.  That photography is art.  That art is not only drawing and painting.  But before that day, I never classified myself as an artist.

Okay, okay.  Maybe I have.  But not like that.  Not classifying myself with the artists that paint and draw.  But I am realizing more and more that photography is an art.  So go ahead.  Find the art that God created you to do.



Hope  – (May 1, 2011 at 7:27 PM)  

This is so true! Photography really is an art :)

"the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power".

Producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

Couldn't be more true!

Kiley  – (May 1, 2011 at 7:48 PM)  

ohhh yes. i've always considered photography an art. It is truly one of the most beautiful. love love love. ♥

T.F  – (May 2, 2011 at 11:26 AM)  

love this post. . . Art can be found in anything! <3

Post a Comment

s e a r c h

Blog Archive