WAKE UP CALLS

Pinterest is great, it really is great.

I love the ideas I get from it.  I love the inspiration it brings and the things I learn from it.

But in the midst of inspiration lays a ton of covetousness.

A lot.

There are gorgeous houses and perfect kitchens and libraries inside houses.  There are clothes that are too expensive for us to be buy and posters telling us we have to live our lives right now.  There are charts on how to properly pack for a week long trip and blog posts on how to eat healthier this Summer.

And it seems as if the moment I get wrapped up in all of this stuff, I remember the babies I left behind miles and miles away and the babies that wait ahead in the same spot.

And it breaks my heart that I would ever for one second let myself idolize this website that makes me covet and compare and want and.

I become consumed with the gorgeous houses and the shoes I want and the wedding I can't even see in the near future and the clothes I will never afford that I forget about what I left behind 9823 miles away and what's waiting for me ahead.

I let myself believe the lie that I have to pack this way and eat that way and sleep more and drink X amount of ounces of water per day that I forget that there are real people who can't find a drop of water.

I pin that photo for future reference so I can get a shot like that and I pin that other photo of a bedroom so one day I can create a space like that.  But in the process I forget who I am and I focus on what I think I should be.

I forget to thank Jesus for the kitchen I do have.

And the roof over my head that I do have.

And the blanket that lays over my body at night that I do have.

And that I have clothes to wear tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after that and on and on for another 6 months.

I forget to thank Jesus for the life I do have.

Because I don't know about you, but for me, with my Pinterest account that began a year ago, I've never been able to do that as much as before.

And in the process of reading things that tell me I have to live my life to the fullest, I realize I'm not.

I realize I left my heart in some place far away.

I realize I have a journey that I haven't taken yet.

I realize I've been really, really, really really really really ungrateful.

I'm not deleting my Pinterest account.  It is a perfect creative outlet for me.  But I am limiting what I follow.  The purpose of owning a Pinterest account, for me at least, is to be inspired.  Not become ungrateful and forgetful of what my real purpose is.

These kids are eating on the dirt and I'm dreaming of houses I'll never own.

It's not how it's supposed to be.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... 9823 miles is a long ways away to leave your heart but one day I'll be back.

Emma  – (June 7, 2013 at 11:01 AM)  

So, something was up with blogger and I haven't been getting your last few posts on my dashboard, but I just found this, and wow. so true.
my heart aches.

Joanna @ Asking with Faith  – (June 11, 2013 at 5:18 AM)  

Agreed! And sadly, I find myself killing time in the evenings on pinterest becoming envious of different things. And I have to mentally slap myself. I'm in Uganda right now so I thought I would be smarter about that. but I guess not! So easy to get sucked in.

Post a Comment

s e a r c h

Blog Archive