My Grandma
by Emma Thompson
An artist, a friend, a mother, a great person - my Grandma.  On August 22nd 2009, she went home to Jesus after battling unexpected complications after surgery.  She also battled Multiple Sclerosis (MS) for 27+ years.  She was my only Grandma that lived close by, so whenever I wanted, I could come over.  She loved being a wife, mother, and grandmother.
(5) My Grandma had brown hair, and the best look on her face, even in pain.  When she smiled, I felt like smiling.  When my parents came home from the hospital to tell my brothers, cousins and I she had passed away, my dad added that we should go out and swim - have a great time because that was what she would have wanted.  Instead of having a “funeral” we had a celebration of life, to remember her by.  That look on her 
(6)  face, we all remembered.  Even in the pain.  
She painted the most beautiful paintings.  Although she had MS, and was often shaky, she made those paintings look grand, shaky or not.  She enjoyed antique collecting, gardening, decorating, and sun-tanning on the beach.  She was the only person I knew that could decorate her house for Christmas so wonderfullyWhile also cherishing her jewish heritage, I remember her by the Jewish Star of David necklace she always wore.  Those beautiful paintings are also a great way to remember her by.
My relationship with my Grandma was very close.  Once a month, we would get together and have tea.  It was what I looked forward to every month.  I raised money for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society and walked in the MS walk with her, who most likely rode in a wheelchair, for the past three years, and will continue to do so in her honor.  Likely, I never thought she would die so soon.  I never thought God would take her so soon, as if I was in control.  My close relationship with her held on to the end.  
With these things in mind, we trusted God in bringing her home.  My Grandma was a great person.  The last time I saw her was a few days before surgery, and she acted normal, and I hugged her.  I thought she would recover.  I thought she would still be living now.  God had another plan, and we have to trust Him.  She finished well and today is living not by faith, but by sight.


*************************
Thinking about my Grandma.


***********************


This blog is something coming from my heart.


That paper was something coming from my heart.


This blog is something about my life.


This paper was something with my life with her.


This blog was something that's been great from the start.


And I'm telling you now




I may not post every day


but I'm still here.


and it's coming from my heart.


Grandpa Steve  – (January 26, 2010 at 2:42 PM)  

I know I already told you how moved I was by your beautiful paper on Grandma Lyn, but I also want to tell you that as I read it I could really feel it coming right from your heart. I'm glad you and Grandma were so close. I know you miss her and I do too but we have some great memories of her don't we?
Blessing and much love, Grandpa Steve

familygregg  – (January 26, 2010 at 4:42 PM)  

So sweet. i could also tell it was coming from her heart. So sorry for the loss of your Grandma. Great paper you wrote
Love you lots!
Love Galilee

Kaarin  – (January 27, 2010 at 8:27 PM)  

Emma, that is a beautiful post. I am blessed to read your blog! I don't mind if you don't post every day! Post when you want to! I will check it!

Kate Taylor  – (January 28, 2010 at 9:04 PM)  

You honor your grandma well, Emma! I don't know anyone that posts very day! I agree with Kaarin. Post when you want to. ;)

Post a Comment

s e a r c h

Blog Archive